In the Hoop Quilting? Save the Mesh!

After many months of in the hoop quilt projects I began to realize just how often I was ordering the no-show mesh for my projects. Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff, but I needed to find a way to be more "frugal" in my usage.

Idea after idea rolled through my brain; just about to give up I noticed a product on my shelf. Desperate, I tried it.....the rest is history for me. Meet my new best in the hoop quilting friend: 3M Extra Strong Duct Tape!

I actually purchased the roll at Lowe's for under $5.00, and it goes a long way! It is smooth and glossy on the non-tacky side and is with out fibers (like the Duct Tape at Michael's). I apply it to the back of my hoop and when I remove it, it leaves no sticky residue. Once I place it on my hoop, the sticky window can be used over and over again! (I have actually complete up to 16 blocks with one taping of the hoop!) The best part...it allows me to cut smaller pieces of no-show mesh, actually saving yardage over the course of a project! 

Join me in this video as I show you how I use this hidden treasure! 


As always....keep sorting the scraps and generating the gems! 




Comments

  1. This is a fantastic idea! Could you please check the name of the tape as I'm only finding "extra heavy duty" but don't want to mess things up by using the wrong one?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever get a response? I'm looking for this as well. I can only find the "extra heavy duty" in black, silver and olive green. It looks like it's 2" wide.

      Delete
    2. Not sure if ya'll got a response but I found on line at Lowes 3M Tough Duct Tape. Looks like the one she is using

      Delete
    3. The "Tough" duct tape doesn't look as glossy as what she is using. Hers looks like vinyl duct tape, but the only vinyl I can find is not heavy duty...it says "low/medium adhesion".

      Delete
  2. Thank you Jeannie! Awesome as always!! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeannie,
    I found your utube tutorial on saving on stabilizer. I am doing an embroider in the hoop and I have to do 255 blocks. the embroidery is done on a layer of batting and the top material. Would this work using the batting or is it to stretchy? Or would it stick alot less blocks because of the fuzz on the batting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I have been looking for the 3M duck tape but can’t seem to find the one like you are using. Could you please send me the code number of the one you are using so I may look for it online? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts